For a small annual fee, Pinboard can download and store a copy of every page you bookmark, for your own private use.
Enabling archiving will also enable full-text search for your bookmarks.
How does it work?
Each time you save a bookmark, or put something on your toread list, Pinboard will crawl the URL and store a permanent copy of the page to your account.
You'll see a special checkbox icon next to the bookmark title:
Clicking on this icon will take you to a stored snapshot of the page. The snapshot is a complete copy of the page contents.
You'll also see a new checkbox below the search input field:
Clicking this checkbox will let you search your bookmarks by content.
What does it cost?
An archival account costs $25 per year. Your signup fee counts towards the first year's price. For example, if you paid $6.10 to join Pinboard, you'll be charged $18.90 for your first year of archiving.
You can request a refund within three days of enabling the service. After that, no refunds are available.
How do I sign up?
Click the button on the right side of this page. You'll be asked to pay the upgrade fee, which will enable the archive feature and cause the site to start crawling your existing bookmarks immediately.
If you change your mind, you can revert to a basic account after three days by emailing email@example.com, and I will refund the upgrade fee.
What happens when my archival account expires?
We'll remind you when it's time to renew your account. If you choose not to renew, you'll have an opportunity to download your full set of archived bookmarks for safekeeping.
Once your paid account expires, you will no longer be able to see the archived copies of your bookmarks, or use full-text search.
What are the conditions?
- There is a 32 megabyte per-bookmark size limit. That includes all supporting files, stylesheets, images, embedded video, and other page dependencies. Bookmarks larger than this won't be archived.
In practice, fewer than one in a thousand bookmarks exceeds the size limit. Your account page will list the bookmarks that were too big to store.
- Due to the way our crawler works, Pinboard won't be able to archive bookmarks that require a login or are not visible from the public Internet.
- I reserve the right to terminate paid accounts at my sole discretion. This is something I am only likely to do if you impose a truly enormous load on the service. If your account is terminated, I will refund you the pro-rated portion of your subscription fee and give you an opportunity to download your archived files.
- Any content that is illegal to store under California law will be deleted.
- Archived bookmarks are for your private use. If you want to share an archived bookmark with others, please copy it to your own server first.